8/10/2012

Food Review: The Blake House


The house-looking restaurant found on Jarvis between Wellesley and College called The Blake House is a mysterious one that you might pass by and be curious about.



My friend and I took the opportunity to take that curiosity and go during Summerlicious 2012. 


Although that day was a high of 30 degrees, the double spaced patio was calling our names. With maximum coverage, we sat down to order.


For our appetizers, my friend ordered a Cool Roasted Ontario Tomato Soup and I got the Baked Spicy Shrimp cakes with jalapeno aioli.



Unfortunately, both of appetizers were not to our liking AT ALL. The soup tasted like it came out of a can. The texture was very watery and my shrimp cakes were way too spicy for my liking.  The spiciness took center stage in my mouth before anything else making it very hard to enjoy.


Next up, our entrees:


I couldn't resist, my favorite food: The Blake Burger.


And my friends' Capri Spaghettini with Roma tomatoes, torn basil, and shaved grana podano with a white wine sauce.

My burger was not too bad. I was satisfied. The burger was cooked to a tender texture, but my fries were a bit over fried. The Capri Spaghettini was rather bland with a bit too much roma tomatoes packed inside (see photo above).

If you know me, I usually choose Summerlicious/Winterlicious restaurants based on their desserts. I'm glad we did.


An order of Chocolate brownie with roasted marshmallow topping and caramel crumble (photo above) and a Cherry Sundae (photo below).


The chocolate brownie was a great and sweet end to a mediocre meal. The roasted marshmallow added a very unique and sweet touch to the brownie. The Cherry Sundae was only okay. The cherries had a very sour taste and was extremely mushy. It did not go too well with the french vanilla ice cream was good.

Overall, I was not pleasantly surprised by the food at The Blake House.
The waitress, however was very kind and pleasant -especially since mid-way we had to move indoors after a bee attack.

I rate this restaurant a 2/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment