8/23/2012

Pinterest: Green Onion Project to the test


I will admit it, I'm a pinner. I enjoy Pinterest as much as the next person. 

Pinterest, if you don't already know, is not all about pinning and making pretty boards to look at. It also has to do with creating and doing. 

So I took one of the pinners' DIY when I saw that she grew her own green onions from your cut/used green onions. Her pin said after you do this, you'll never have to buy your own green onions again.

Was she right? Let's take it to the test.

Day 1:


Day 2: 


Day 3: 


So you can see the immediate growth. It's slow but very visible. 
Let's skip to Day #8.


Day 9:


Day 12:


Day 17: 


And 2 weeks later:


So yes, it does grow fairly fast. 

But is it edible? The texture of my green onion is very light and hallow and so I used it only to sprinkle it on  my dishes. It did not give me enough to use it the way I would if I had a 3 bunches of them.

Unfortunately, unlike the pinner, I will still need to buy green onions from the store as mine do not grow as fast (if I use a lot) and even if I had time to wait for it to grow, they still would not be thick or big enough for my culinary uses.
.
.
.
.
.
This was a fun and interesting project and I would love to get deeper into nuturing an herb garden if I had a backyard of my own some day. 









No comments:

Post a Comment