5/08/2013

Food Review: Song Cook's Korean Cuisine (Vaughan)

When it comes to traditional, Song Cook's puts it up to standard.



Hidden behind the storefront of Moores (West of Yonge Street on the north side of Steeles Avenue) half of the restaurant is delightfully set up korean-style. Heated floors and floor seatings.


Always choosing to sit in the traditional side, I've yet to sit in their 'regular' seating area. It's all purely by preference.

I discovered this restaurant through one of my Korean friends last year. It's location is pretty central location as its steps away from Yonge Street. 

At night, it belongs a karaoke place and it stays open until 2:00am. 
.
.
.
.
.
During this visit I came during the lunch hour of around noon. It was fairly quite as it had just opened at 11:30am.

After ordering our meals, we were quickly greeted with some lovely side dishes.


Not an extensive choice, but what we had was actually very delicious... yes even the kimchi. I've started to tolerate the heat of it -mind you I am not a person who can tolerate much heat in my food.


The kimchi tasted delicious. And the way they served it may have given way of how fresh it is. It was uncut and served to the customer as it has been when it went in for fermentation.


This side dish was new for me. The waitress told me it is chestnut made into a jelly. Without the sauce on it, it would have been very bland. And to be honest, I think they could have used a lot more sauce on it. What we had was still bland. But overall, I loved the texture of the chestnut jelly.


And last but not least of the side dishes, glass noodles topped with slices of carrots and green onions, sesame seeds and fresh seaweed. This was my favorite. I could eat this as a meal! It's light, tasty and the noodles were cooked perfectly.

For our mains, we decided to share in our abundant dishes.


LA Kalbi beef ($10.00). The marinate was a little sweet and it was grilled literally to perfection. I absolutely love this dish. The meat was not chewy, but it was super tender -which I like.


Spicy stir-fried pork with onions and green onions ($6.00). Very very very very spicy. And this was after I asked for it to be mild. But the taste was filled with so much flavor.


So, I've been to this restaurant almost half a dozen times, but it was this experience that I really enjoyed both the food and the service. Our waitress spoke english well, she was very pleasant and she knew her product. By product, she explained about the many different rices (photo below) they offer. 


After she explained, we decided to order the stone-pot rice that takes 15-20 minutes to cook. Most of the rices range from $2-6.50. This only includes 1 bowl of rice. 

Overall, my experience was well received, I give it 4.5/5

Service ............ 4.5/5
Food/Taste ............4/5
Location .......... Very central for uptown-ers
Cleanliness .......... 4.4/5
Price ................ $$











No comments:

Post a Comment