7/04/2013

Food Review: The Wellington Gastropub (Ottawa)

On my travels up north to Canada's capital city, we arrived in the early evening and my friends arranged to have reservations at this cute little Gastropub called " The Wellington". 

If you say the name of this restaurant, it seems as though many locals will say, "Oh yeah, good food!"


Our first real Ottawa food adventure, we dine in at The Wellington Gastropub for dinner.

Reservations are required because they get full quickly with it's small to medium seating available.


Its place on the second floor of an independent plaza. It has two main areas, and we were seated in one of their spacious booths by the window -best spot in the house. The photo above shows the larger main space of the two.


The decorations are very homey and light feeling and not at all pub-like with a heavy look and darker palette. It's clean and the seats are far enough apart that it doesn't look overcrowded. It looks as though it's a more older crowd, but then again I've only been here once.

On the menu, they have 2 pages. I was told that their menu changes quite often, so it's a pretty nice surprise to come here to see just what's on the menu.


The prices run a bit higher here (entrees are between $21 - $28)


They provided the table with complimentary bread (free refills) supplied by one of Ottawa's local bread artists (you'll see more of this amazing bread artist in my next few posts) by a chef named Kevin. His work is simply amazing in its smell, texture and taste. Our bread was served with a cold press canola oil. From my bread-dipping experience, I enjoy the olive oil and balsamic combination for taste. With only the canola oil, it was tasteless, but it was still good only because of how fresh the bread was.

For this adventures' foodie file, I ordered the Parisienne Gnnocchi ($21.00).


Since I've been trying to eat more healthy and intake a larger amount of green veggies, I was delighted how green this dish was. But to my delightful surprise, it was the gnocchi that made it's punch. It was the most delicate gnocchi I've ever tasted. I'm not a pro on gnocchi, but I'm sure this is how fresh gnoochi can taste. It melted in my mouth and the kale and peas along with the creamy sauce molded together in my mouth so.. tastefully.


Overall, this was a very delightful place.

When we arrived with a reservation, we had to wait for a table for about 20-30 minutes. However, the staff was very nice and polite and gave us one of the best seats in the house to make up for the wait time. I appreciated this type of care for their customers.

4.2/5 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment