7/30/2012

Chocolate Shop Review: SOMA


This quaint chocolatemaker shoppe, aka SOMA, lies in the heart of King West -just west of Spadina.


They don't just have chocolate on the menu. They have an extensive chocolate concept of chocolate in food and beverages. One of their products was a "dark chocolate lovers' lunchbox". 




The space has high ceilings and a rustic and modern atmosphere. They even have a wide bar in front of the front window. It looks like the perfect place to seat and relax with a newspaper or to go people-watching.



Another great thing about SOMA is the spaciousness of it. In the front, it looks like a small chocolate shop that sells chocolates to go with limited seating at the front bar stool. However, if you venture deeper into the space, there's another set of bar stools and past that they have 3 medium-sized tables, good for chilling with friends.


It seemed appropriate that I try Hot Chocolate. They had 2 options, the classic or Mayan sytye hot chocolate. I decided to be adventurous and go for the Mayan hot chocolate without really know what the difference was. I wanted to be surprised!



My first sip was intense. It had a subtle chocolate taste (which was nice) and then as it dances around your mouth for a second and then drops down your throat  with an intense blow of flavours. As I continued drinking my Mayan hot chocolate, the intensity diminished, probably due to the reduction of its heat. It was a very new experience for me while enjoying a chocolate product. I would go back and order this! 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(photo by Elizabeth Kim)

The back area with more tables and chairs gave my friends and I an opportunity to slowly enjoy our hot chocolates, have great conversation and... for some more fun, a game of Monopoly Deal.

Overall, I rate the chocolate maker shop 4.5/5

Bring your friends (groups of pairs) and enjoy samples of chocolate dipped ________.
The price is $$
This is the place you'll want to try for something different and unique in chocolate.




No comments:

Post a Comment