4/25/2012

Brunch Review: Fire On The East Side!


It's Saturday... that means brunch time with friends! Today's review traveled to Wellesley/Yonge area to a place called Fire On The East Side!


Walking in, the foyer was nice and roomy. And passed the foyer the restaurant layout split front and back. Seeing that it was still early with the house practically empty, I took one of the more intimate tables near the back. 


The view from my seat (photo above). The restaurants' decor and atmosphere looked great and very inviting. The orange accent walls works with the space, making it feel homey and perfect for brunch. My tables' seats were reused church pews. Very cool.  The rest of the restaurant had minimalism modern decor.  Overall, I liked what I saw.

Once my party arrived, we were greeted with a plate of banana bread. It looked very moist and it tasted very homemade and delicious. So far so good.


I chose this place for two reasons. After I read a few reviews off of ourfaves.com, everyone only had shouts of praises, and secondly, they had eggs benny on crab cakes for a very decent price (that just sounds too good to be true, right?!)


Crab Cakes Eggs Benedict ($12.00).


I've had my share of eggs benny when I do brunch at restaurants, and sadly this is the second time I've been disappointed by crab cakes in less than a month. On the plate it looks great, but taste-wise it didn't do justice. The hollandaise sauce had no texture and was watery. The crab cake was not seasoned well making it taste bland. The only thing I liked on the plate was the salad and the eggs that were semi-well done.


Unfortunately, my friends' dishes also had a the same lack of taste, if not worse. One of my friends ordered 2 Eggs any style $10.00 (photo below) and their daily soup that was a smoked chicken soup noodle $7.00 (second photo below). The eggs were bland and the soup was over the top salty. By the end of it, she barely touched her eggs dish and even tried adding the salty soup to the eggs to help balance of its lacking... but that didn't work out well.





Quite honestly, I had high hopes for Far Side On The East after reading past reviews. The moment I walked in, I was very very very pleased. In the end, however, the food could not hold its own to make me or my friends come again.


Rating it 0.5/5 stars





No comments:

Post a Comment