4/18/2012

Dinner Review: Oyster Shack (Montreal)


Tucked between Rue Ste. Catherine and Boulevard Réne-Lésvesque on Bishop Street was this little shack, that is Oyster Shack.


This low-lit nautical style restaurant gives off the impression that you are at sea and on a date.  The staff appeared to be very laid back while keeping up a smiley image and giving good customer service.  

After not much debate, my friend and I decided on a bowl of clam chowder ($8), Cajun shrimp Cesar salad ($11.99) and a crab cake ($9.99).




While the service was good, the food became a bad attack. The only dish that felt right in my mouth was the creamy clam chowder.  The Cajun shrimp Cesar salad was half and half.  The Cajun shrimp was well seasoned but the Cesar salad was soggy and lifeless. And lastly, the crab cake. Oh how I was looking forward to munching down on the very popular crab cakes that my mom always dreams about. To my surprise, the texture was nothing I had ever tasted in a crab cake. The cake itself was big (mind you there was only one piece) but there was no density.


To me, the cake was a flop, literally. If this is the style of the Quebecois, then nothing more can be said. Cutting into the cake, the texture was soft and mushy. When I bite into it, the meat tasted not completely cooked and with very liquid sauce. The side salsa did not help to enhance the crab cake but instead created more mush.  It goes without saying, we could not finish this particular dish.


Rating it 1.5/5 stars 




No comments:

Post a Comment