5/11/2012

Movie Review: Edwin Boyd, Citizen Gangster


Starring one of my favorite actors, Scott Speedman (who also stars in many canadian films) as Edwin Boyd.


This film came to screen at the TIFF 2011 festival. It comes out to the public today. I was lucky enough to go to a special private screening and Q&A with the director, Nathan Morlando, producer, Allison Black and actor, Kevin Durand. Unfortunately, I had another event to attend to that night, so I only got to view the film.

Rating it 3.2/5

The story is about a WWII vet that returns home to his young 2.5 family and works as a bus driver. Unfulfilled feelings lies with a long lost dream of becoming a Hollywood actor. Putting two ideas together, he decides to rob local banks, Hollywood style. This film is based on true events of the life of Canadian Edwin Boyd. 

My thoughts were a little mixed. I enjoyed it (great acting from Speedman), but the story line was a bit bland. The story  felt like it was pulling from one story to another and then to another and not really giving greater attention for better development to Boyd himself. My most confused story was the one with Mary, Lenny's sister. I felt she had a bigger story to develop, but they just climax it with her breakdown and then left it without giving her scenes to show her reasons for her actions. The build ups were good but  it just felt like nothing followed through. The film is based on true events, so I guess one and only do so much. 

I admired Kelly Riley's performance as Mrs. Boyd. A woman who is torn between her love for her husband and children and his criminal acts (of love? selfishness?). What to do? How to feel? She portrayed a very exposed and torn woman. I loved her! I felt for her!

Lastly, my review rating went a little higher than I thought I should give it only because of my love and pride for Canadian films. I wish them all the best and hope they do well.
.
.
.
.
.

Come out and a support Canadian films. Watch out, they're making waves! 



-theccgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment