5/15/2012

Movie Review: Hysteria

 Last night, eOne presented an advanced screening for Hysteria. Directed by Tanya Wexle, this film was also screened at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.


Courtesy of Insomnia and eOne (thanks!). Insomnia held an online contest where I was able to win the tickets. Who knew I'd get to enjoy free advanced screening from one of my favorite restaurants. 

 

The film Review: Hysteria


Coming into this film, I had no prior expectations. I only wanted to prepare myself of the baseline of the story, which was "a story about the man who invents/inspires the today's mechanism, the vibrator". It's also a comedy, so I knew it would be a great relaxing film to watch. I had no idea how much I would love it. This is a film that can be enjoyed in the theaters with dozens of others watching and laughing at all the subtle or not so subtle sexual innuendos. The film as a whole was beautifully done. I loved Hugh Dancy's character. He was so poised and gentlemen-like. Alongside him, his chemistry with actress Maggie Gyllenhaal was funny and beautiful. 

The story line itself was very nicely done. It moved smoothly in its development and they held their fair share of punches without going overboard. The sensitivity of the content was enjoyable. As a conservative myself, I didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable. The comedy produced in every scene seemed to play out perfectly. I think Tanya did a great job directing and using the actors' strong suits to drive this film to a success.

Rating it 4.5/5

It comes out in theaters this May. 




No comments:

Post a Comment