9/03/2012

Food Review NYC: Mama Empanadas

Today's blog takes you to New York's' great strip of restaurants in Hell's Kitchen



One of the smaller and narrow restaurants that over flowed with patrons was Mama Empanadas, a very popular place. ;p 


If you have a great love for empanadas, then this is your heaven. A very big list of different (very Americanized) stuffed empanadas to your liking. So many to try, it was hard to pick. Good thing there were 3 of us, so we ordered a few.




We tasted:
Americano
Cheeseburger
TJC (Tuna Jalapeno & Cheese)
Cheese Steak
Cuban

Every single flavor tasted great. I think it had to do with the fact that every one had a lot of cheese stuffed into it. But being shy to spicy, I thought I'd bold-it-up and try the TJC. But ohhhh man was it spicy. Too spicy. Too too too spicy!

And of course, a Mexican meal is not complete without some guacamole with Plantain chips.


To be honest, I was deeply disappointed in the guacamole. The guacamole was creamy but it missed the freshness of diced tomatoes and perhaps a little more lemon juice in it. It was more of a paste rather than the guacamole I had loved when I was in Cancun and.. even when my mom made it. The plantain chips, however, were delicious. Long and narrow for good "dippage", crispy and a perfect thick cut. 


And for our main, we shared the Chicken and rice. 


Sorry for the presentation, however this does show how much we dug it! ;p The rice had a great flavour and the plantain and chicken ratio was perfectly portioned. I got a big chunk in each bite, no skimping here.


The atmosphere at this place was fun, loud and very Mexican! 
The colours just burst off the walls, creating a very lively feeling. 
The food, most of it, was good and I think I would go back again. 
The price, a little pricier than what I would have thought for Mexican food, but still not crazy enough not to buy.

And by the looks of the crowd, I could tell it was a crowd-pleaser.










No comments:

Post a Comment